- The “Ballet” of the horse world, with the horse exercising a series of prescribed movements with precision and grace. At the lower levels of pony club, dressage relates to basic flatwork.
- Foundation from which all of the riding disciplines within pony club evolve
- Dressage builds flexibility, obedience and gymnastic ability in the horse
- Region usually holds 2 or 3 dressage shows a year, these can qualify a rider for a provincial competition (Zones) or Regional Finals
- At each show a rider performs at least 2 prescribed tests and sometimes a “Freestyle”
- A Freestyle or Kur is when the horse and rider perform the required movements to music, in a pattern choreographed to fit both the horse's best features and the music
- Levels of competition include: Entry and Starter (walk/trot only), Pre-Training (basic walk/trot/canter) and the higher levels: Training, First Level, Second Level, Third Level and Fourth Level